Design Studio Required Elective at semester(s) 5, 7, ECTS: 12
Taught in: Greek, Available to ERASMUS students in English.
[, Analysis, Synthesis, Evaluation]
The motive for this design studio is the creation of spaces where the threshold to the surrounding environment is capable of altering to accomodate the needs of the users or to adapt the building envelope to the external environmental conditions. Utilising advanced technological solutions creates the need for aesthetic integration of the overal design.
The studio researches the design of dynamic facades of multi storey office buildings. Issues that students will address are:
- Design of the facade, focus on aesthetics of the skin and the habitable space as addressed by the users as well as the external views.
- Energy/lighting calculations using appropriate design tools in order to define and finetune the parameters of the dynamic/active components, feedback loop and optimisation of the proposed solution.
- Prototyping, understanding and study of the system behaviour under various environmental conditions (time and date)
- Description of the autonomous function of the system and programming in machine code.ύ σε κώδικα
Prerequisites: good operational knowldege of 2D and 3D computer aided design, lighting and energy calculations.
Useful to have programming knowledge (python, processing) or scripting knowledge.
During the course of the studio knowledge obtained in Building Lighting, Bioclimatic Design and Virtual Reality courses is utilised. Consequently students that have taken the above mentioned courses will have a better understanding and ease in following the studio and will benefit the most.
- Drawings of the proposed design
- Scale model of a typical unit
- Digital simulation in interactive form utilising a sensor-controller-actuator logic (not video or prerendered animations!)
Jules Moloney, «Designing Kinetics for Architectural Facades: State Change», ISBN-10:0415610346
Herzog, Thomas, Roland Krippner, and Werner Lang. Facade Construction Manual. 1st ed. Basel; Munich: Berkhäuser ; Edition Detail, 2008.
Knaack, Ulrich. Façades Principles of Construction. Basel: Birkhäuser, 2007.