Obligatory, Semester 1, ECTS: 4
[Knowledge, Comprehension, Application, Analysis, Synthesis, Evaluation]
- To offer to the students a systematic approach to the audiovisual representation techniques (photography, sound recording, video shooting and editing) and their application in architectural communication and the design procedure.
- To develop the students’ abilities in analyzing, processing and composing technical, social and historic data of the urban and built environment.
- To offer a global approach to the evolution of the representation media and technologies, from the perspective of the Renaissance to contemporary digital technologies and to help the students understand the ways in which these media influence the models of human space perception as well as architectural design theory and methodology.
Special emphasis is given to a global approach of representation technologies through the theory and aesthetics of both art and architecture.
Design as representation:Representation technologies are not only the tools for designing space but they also influence our ways of understanding space, time, materials and movement. This specific function transforms them into referential perception systems. The osmosis of the traditional and digital representation tools has decisively transformed the architectural design practice.
The students are asked to create space representations using different media technologies and narration patterns.
- Introduction. The rationalization of vision evolution from the perspective of the Renaissance system to the digital technologies.
- Introduction to photography as an art. Organization principles of photo image. Visual analysisandsynthesisofthe urbanandbuiltenvironment.
- Photography and narration. Composite image techniques.
- Urban soundscape. Space, sound and image relations.
- Sound recording techniques.
- Pre-cinema animation toys: From science to the spectacle
- Introduction to the animated image. Basic elements of audiovisual language.
- The cinema and the city.
- The Storyboard: the codification of the basic elements of an audiovisual narration.
- Vision and the human perception procedure
- The electronic image
- Analog and digital image processing. Introduction to editing techniques.
- Computers. The electronic homogenization of different media.
- Gesture and program: Human-computer communication environment.
Berger, John; Ways of Seeing, , Penguin
BordwellDavid, Thompson Kristin, Film Art: An Introduction, Addison-Wesley, 1979
Buck-MorrsSusan,Dialecticsof Seeing: Walter Benjamin and the Arcades Project, MIT 1992
CraryJonathan, Techniques of the Observer: On Vision and Modernity in the 19th Century, MIT Press 1990
Deleuze Gilles, L'Image-mouvement, Minuit, 2001
Deleuze Gilles, L'Image-temps, Minuit, 1986
Manovich Lev, The Language of New Media, MIT Press, 2001
Susan Sontag, On Photography, Anchor Books, 1990