Obligatory, Semester 5, ECTS: 12
Taught in: Greek, Available to ERASMUS students in English.
This design studio introduces students to a complex and dynamic program such as a Department of Design and Applied Arts in the real setting situation of the campus of the School of Engineering of the University of Thessaly. The educational aims of the course are:
1. to design a public building with a program for education challenging themes like organization, circulation, publicness, and common and shared space;
2. to question life inside an education building facing matters of natural lighting, ventilation and comfort designing inspiring and healthy spaces for education;
3. to deal with the urban organization of the campus and with the functional and formal relation between the existing buildings as well as the definition of the surrounding open spaces;
4. to re-elaborate existing elements, fluxes and connections to continue the process of accumulation and stratification of the Campus;
5. to pose urban question about position, scale, morphology and functions inside the small by lively and dynamic organization of a University Campus;
6. to improve skills about model making and representation in order to empower students to envision new scenarios and visualize their proposal.
The design assignment speculates on the creation of a new building for the Department of Design and Applied Arts located within the campus of the School of Engineering of University of Thessaly. Due to its central role in the life of the campus, the proposal should have a particular public and social relevance. The program will include workshops, classrooms, offices, and exhibition spaces, and common spaces. Special emphasis will be given to the relation between the building and its context, the creation of interior and outdoor spaces in accordance to the mediterranean climate.
Students will work in teams of one or two and divided into 4 seminars. During the course there will be one mid-term review with all the four seminars together, and two additional reviews with 2 seminars joint together. The final project will be evaluated by a jury composed by the four professor of the course. Model making and various means of visualization together with plans and sections are required.
architectural design, urban morphology, educational building, social spaces