Design Studio Required Elective at semester(s) 6, 8, ECTS: 12
Taught in: Greek, Available to ERASMUS students in English.
[Analysis, Synthesis, Evaluation]
Upon successful completion of the course students:
- Understand the social role of architecture as a spatial and material practice as well as the economic conditions that determine its production.
- Become familiar with design methods related to the reuse and modification of existing structures, participation and recycling.
- Analyze and evaluate timeless and contemporary examples of minimum dwelling from around the world.
- Practice architectural design exploring the small scale of the house (1/20) and the scale of the residential complex (1/200).
- Develop skills in model building by understanding the role of the prototype as a generative medium of architectural thinking.
Downsizing and living small have become increasingly popular modes of inhabitation in the past decade. Reinforced by ‘cults of decluttering’ and ‘minimalist lifestyles’ they demonstrate a radical reduction of domestic space to the absolute minimum.Minimalist living can be recorded in multiple architectural versions: cabins, capsules, caravans, cells, compact apartments, containers, emergency shelters, home-offices, motor homes and tree houses.
In this course the minimum dwelling is architecturally explored as an individual case of meticulous detailed design as well as a unit of a small residential complex. The site of the study is the formerly thriving and now abandoned Thermais Camping on the beach of Agia Triada in Thessaloniki, designed by the team of architects: Vourekas-Sakellariou-Vassiliadis and inaugurated in 1960.
For the successful completion of the course students produce an individual or group project. Students' evaluation assesses both their participation in class as well as the quality of their project.
Βυζοβίτη, Σ. (2017) Μικροκατοικία-'Ατλαντας για Αρχιτέκτονες, University Studio Press
Arieff, A., Burkhart, B. (2002) Prefab, Salt Lake City: Gibbs Smith Publisher.
Jodidio, P. (2017) Nomadic Homes. Architecture on the move, Cologne: TASCHEN.
Leckart, S., Klein, Z. (2015) Cabin Porn : Inspiration for Your Quiet Place Somewhere, London : Penguin Books Ltd.
Roke, R. (2016) Nanotecture: Tiny Built Things, London: Phaidon.
Teige, Κ. (1932) (trans) Dluhosch, E. (2005) The Minimum Dwelling, Cambridge MA: MIT Press.