Elective at semester(s) 5, 7, 9, ECTS: 3
Taught in: Greek, Available to ERASMUS on request
· Emphasis on a global approach to the representation of urban space.
· Visual perception and audiovisual documentation of historic, social and architectural data in an urban or landscape environment.
· Building an elementary Greek contemporary architecture audiovisual data base.
The evolution of the representation of the city from the early cinema to present day video and interactive installations.
- Documentary film basic characteristics.
- Space in the cinema and the audiovisual arts in general.
- Iconographic space, architectural space, narrative space.
- Scenarios and narration structures.
- Urban soundscape
- Audiovisual production organization.
- Camera and Editing principles and techniques.
- City symphonies of the mid-war period
- Neo-realism, free cinema, nouvelle vague and the city
- Experimental cinema and the city
- Video-art and the city
- Contemporary trends in representing urban space
The students are asked to create an audiovisual project on a specific building or an urban space.
During the course, the students produce two projects, one analytic and one synthetic
1st Project (group project)
Presentation and comments of a documentary film on the built and urban environment. The documentary series "Architecture" (30 protraits of buildings) is proposed but the students are free to select any other of their choise.
2d project (group or personal)
Selection of a building or urban space that will be the subject of a short documentary film. Elaboration of the project from the conent development to the shootings and the post production phase.
Both projects are presented during the examinations period
The students choose one book from 4 offered.
- Visions urbaines: villes d'Europe a l'écran, Centre George Pompidou, c1994.
- Shiel Mark Fitzmaurice Tony, Cinema and the city: film and urban societies in a global context, Blackwell, 2001.
- Abel Richard, The cine goes to town: french cinema 1896 – 1914, University of California Press, 1994
- Le cinema dans la cite, Kiron, 2001
- Krause Linda Petro Patrice, Global cities: cinema, architecture, and urbanism in a digital age, Rutgers University Press, 2003.
- Barber Stephen, Projected cities: cinema and urban space, Reaktion Books, 2002.
Visions urbaines: villes d'Europe a l'écran/
Paris : Centre George Pompidou, 1994.
- Sorlin Pierre, Mass Media, European Cinemas, European Societies: 1939-1990, Taylor & Francis 2007.
- Albrecht Donald, Designing dreams: modern architecture in the movies, Hennessey + Ingalls, 2000.
city, representation, documentary films, city soundscape, city and the cinema