Design Studio Required Elective at semester(s) 5, 7, ECTS: 12
[, Analysis, Synthesis, Evaluation]
The motive for this design studio is the creation of spaces where the threshold to the surrounding environment is capable of altering to accomodate the needs of the users or to adapt the building envelope to the external environmental conditions. Utilising advanced technological solutions creates the need for aesthetic integration of the overal design.
On course completion, students will be able to:
- comprehend basic environmental parameters that facilitate the control of dynamic facades
- Design a basic structural support system as well as the kinetic mechanisms
- develop simulation models enabling the exploration of alternative solutions
The studio researches the design of dynamic facades of multi storey office buildings. Issues that students will address are:
- Design of the facade, focus on aesthetics of the skin and the habitable space as addressed by the users as well as the external views.
- Energy/lighting calculations using appropriate design tools in order to define and finetune the parameters of the dynamic/active components, feedback loop and optimisation of the proposed solution.
- Prototyping, understanding and study of the system behaviour under various environmental conditions (time and date)
- Description of the autonomous function of the system and programming in machine code.
- Prerequisites: good operational knowldege of 2D and 3D computer aided design, lighting and energy calculations.
- Useful to have programming knowledge (python, processing) or scripting knowledge.
During the course of the studio knowledge obtained in Building Lighting, Bioclimatic Design and Virtual Reality courses is utilised. Consequently students that have taken the above mentioned courses will have a better understanding and ease in following the studio and will benefit the most.
Students work alone or in teams up to three in order to complete the project. They submit:
- Drawings of the proposed design
- Scale model of a typical unit
- Digital simulation in interactive form utilising a sensor-controller-actuator logic (not video or prerendered animations!)
Student assessment is based on general activity and contribution in the studio as well as the project grade
Jules Moloney, «Designing Kinetics for Architectural Facades: State Change», ISBN-10:0415610346
Herzog, Thomas, Roland Krippner, and Werner Lang. Facade Construction Manual. 1st ed. Basel; Munich: Berkhäuser ; Edition Detail, 2008.
Responsive Environments: Architecture, Art and Design, Lucy Bullivant, 2006, V&A Publications
Adaptive Façade Network-Europe by Andreas Luible, Mauro Overend, Laura Aelenei, Ulrich Knaack, Marco Perino, Frank Wellershoff, Publ. TU Delft Open, ISBN 978-94-6186-581-6, 2015
Shading Design Workflow for architectural designers, Luis E. López Ponce de León, Msc Thesis, TU Delft
Shady Attia, Fabio Favoino, Roel Loonen, , Aleksandar Petrovski, Aurora Monge-Barrio , “Adaptive Façades System Assessment: An initial review”
The Adaptive Solar Facade: From concept to prototypes, Zoltan Nagy, Bratislav Svetozarevic, Prageeth Jayathissa, Moritz Begle, Johannes Hofer, Gearoid Lydon, Anja Willmann, Arno Schlueter, Frontiers of Architectural Research , Volume 5, Issue 2, June 2016, pages 143-156