Obligatory, Semester 7, ECTS: 8
Specification of the logic of design in different scales of project: the clarification of the relationship with the city, the formulation of the overall organizational shape and building program, the geometric ordering of form, the layout and the provision of furniture and equipment.
The design assignment is a public library at the centre of the city of Volos. The communal texture of the program and its correlation with the dense urban fabric, the functions of education and of hospitality serving readers and researchers, as well as the co-existence of traditional book collections with media archives highlight the special quality of the complex as public ground.
The parameters unanalyzed and addressed with architectural resources relate to:
• The relationship of the citizen with education and the public sphere in general - i.e. with the types and qualities of public space, the emergence or the support of existing forms of urbanity
• The density and the stratification of the building complex, the interaction with the city and the possibility of architectural representation of social forms and institutions
• The possibility of spontaneous appropriations of the building that enrich the standard building programme.
- Francesco Della Casa, 2010, The Rolex Learning Center, ACTAR
- UmbertoEco, 1986, Το όνομα του ρόδου, Ελληνικά Γράμματα
- Εθνική Βιβλιοθήκη της Ελλάδας – Κτιριολογικό Πρόγραμμα
- GA Contemporary Architecture, 2006, Issue 03: LIBRARY, EDITA Tokyo
- Kubo, M and Prát, R. (eds), 2005, “Seattle Public Library”, ACTAR
- Αχιλλέας Κυριακίδης (μτφ), 2009, Περί βιβλιοθηκών, Άγρα
- ΟΜΑ/LMN,1999, The Seattle Public Library Concept Book
- Sakamoto, T. and Ferré, A. (eds.) 2003, “Sendai Mediatheque”, ACTAR
- Κωνσταντίνος Σταϊκος, 2010, Ιστορία της Βιβλιοθήκης στο Δυτικό Πολιτισμό, Κότινος