One of the four National Tobacco Organizations was based in Volos. The building was built during the period 1959-1961. It is found at the center of Volos between the streets Ogl- Anthimou Gazi- Gamveta and includes three buildings.
The basic building was used as a storage space for tobacco. Due to the building’s position in the city’s web, the tobacco treatment did not take place there and not all the machines were used. The building’s plan wasn’t so appropriate; therefore the tobaccos’ picking took place in half the fifth and fourth floor where they were later on sent out.
In 1992 the building stopped its function and the Ministry of Agriculture gave it up to Magnesia’s Prefecture. It is intended for mixed office use.
The building existed as a space of production and its place in the city’s web forms an important criterion for its later use. The creation of a design school in combination with the accommodation of the design museum and with the nearby distance of the university colleges in the city of Volos, cannot but only constitutes an easy access network and reference point for the area.