The quarry of AGET ERAKLIS is the space chosen following research among spaces with a particular morphological character. Having in mind particularity we search for places showing vigorous contrast: hypsometric interchanges, interchanges of natural elements (land, water), alteration of the in and out and the co-existence of artificial and natural ground.
The function of the AGET factory is going to be discontinued due to the environmental aggravation that it causes to the surrounding area. The quarry and its establishment are in a quest for a new function and connection with the landscape. Having in mind the reuse of the space and to counteract
the negative environmental effects which the factory caused we suggest the creation of a new local net of exchange and preservation of traditional plant variations, aiming at preserving the bio-variations of the land of Thessaly. This net is formed of units of cultivation growing along the steps of the quarry and a building foundation - Seed Bank - consisting of a building providing information to
visitors, research centre and researchers' lodging units.
The function of the seed bank is based on the protection and preservation of genetic material and the free exchange of seeds among farmers. The managing system of the seeds proceeds as follows:
- gathering of seeds
- setting in drying room (place where seeds are dried under temperature 15 C and 15% moistness)
- separation of the seeds that can be dried from those that are unsuitable.
- selection of a number of seeds of each kind in order to be studied and their ability to reproduce to be examined.
- placement of the seeds in the drying room for the final drying procedure before their storing in the cold room (-20 C) where they are kept until they are used.
- experimental cultivation of the seeds for morphological observation in order to examine their liability of infection, and later their cultivation in order to multiply and their distribution to selected farmers.
The building establishment develops upon three steps of the quarry. On the first step lays the visitors' building consisting of exhibition and information places in relation to the function of the seed bank. Access to the second step is achieved through a platform that leads to the laboratories. Here are the places for analysis and studying of the seeds and specially designed places for their preservation. The movement within the building is achieved through platforms around a small wall which bounds the development of spaces inside and outside the ground.
On the third step lay the guest rooms for the researchers. On the first level lay the facilities while on the rest the lodgings are shaped. The movement in the quarry and the access to the steps
is achieved through the formation at the road and the use of platforms. The road runs through a part
of cultivation and ends to a small wall which bounds two widened water pools, while a third one lays on a lower step of the quarry.