The present thesis discusses the restoration and reuse of the Public Market of Chalkida as well as the rehabilitation of the adjacent square. This building complex is one of the few remaining historical sites of the city. It occupies an area of 5700 m2 and is situated in the core of the commercial district and of Chalkida in general. In 2002 the front wing was characterized as a monument, whereas the remaining buildings were declared preservable as to their form. The architectural ensemble consists of the initial composition of 1885 and the later addition of the interwar period.
In this particular complex the restoration and reuse intervention is mild. The historic identity and the human scale of the buildings are maintained. The additions are characterized by new structures of contemporary form and materials, in order to separate it clearly from the existing buildings. Furthermore, bioclimatic design elements are incorporated. The market function is restored at the buildings of the perimeter and converses with the cultural function that is concentrated in the internal wings. In particular, the shells of the interwar buildings are preserved and most of intervention is carried out on the inside. A significant aspect is the connection of the two buildings at roof level, by emphasizing their functional integration. The uses are organized into levels that complement each other from the roof deck to basement level. Open spaces with internal atriums are generated, offering overall view of the space. The adjoining square is inseparably linked to the complex and is therefore redeveloped to serve as an urban open space in order to relieve from the bustling market.
In addition to the preservation of the architectural ensemble, the purpose of this proposal is to adequately transform the buildings, in order to accommodate the needs of the modern city. The uses are combined so that the market remains constantly operative and is redefined as a landmark of modern Chalkida.